LNER 52255 Open Third
|LNERLondon & North Eastern Railway 52255 Open Third|
52255 outside Kidderminster Railway Museum in 2016
|Built By||LNERLondon & North Eastern Railway York|
|Other numbers||13547, GE13547E, DE321005|
|Designed By||GresleySir Nigel Gresley, Chief Mechanical Engineer (CME) of the London & North Eastern Railway 1923-1941|
|1980||Preserved on SVRSevern Valley Railway|
Third Open (TO) 52255 was built at York in 1935 to Diagram Number 186 Lot number 594.
It was renumbered 13547 as part of the LNERLondon & North Eastern Railway's 1943 re-numbering scheme. On Nationalisation in 1947, BRBritish Rail or British Railways initially allocated an E prefix to indicate its LNERLondon & North Eastern Railway origin, with a further re-numbering to GE13547E after 1951 reflecting its allocation to the LNERLondon & North Eastern Railway's former Great Eastern lines.
In 1961 it was withdrawn from passenger service and from July 1962 entered DepartmentalRolling stock used for the railway’s own functions (engineering etc.) rather than for general passenger or goods traffic. use as an Office Coach in an Emergency Control Train, numbered DE321005.
52255 in preservation
52255 arrived on the SVRSevern Valley Railway from Doncaster on 28 April 1980, having been purchased by an individual. External restoration to 1935 livery was undertaken in the mid-1980s with the assistance of the LNERLondon & North Eastern Railway (SVRSevern Valley Railway) Coach Fund, although the interior still consisted of BRBritish Rail or British Railways Mark 1 seating.
52255 was purchased by the SVRSevern Valley Railway Rolling Stock Trust (now The SVR Charitable Trust) in June 2011. In August of that year the SVRA held a raffle to help pay off the temporary funding that secured the deal and raise money towards an upgrade of the interior of 52255. It was withdrawn from use at the end of 2014 for major body overhaul, and for the interior to undergo a high class upgrade to LNERLondon & North Eastern Railway appearance, similar to that previously completed on 43600. It entered the paintshop in early 2016, and by 3 September the work was almost complete with side framework repaired, roof planks secured firmly to the hoops and then re-canvassed and painted. Windows were re-bedded and the bodywork externally re varnished. The interior had been dismantled and many components refurbished or replaced before reassembly with new saloon paneling and fawn Rexinean early form of vinyl used by the LNER for wall coverings in teak coaches finish trimmed in maroon. New brown lino, rexined seat ends made to the new "LNERLondon & North Eastern Railway" profile, pictures, mirrors, coathooks, wall lamps and luggage racks were added. The volunteer upholsterer re-covered the seats in new LNERLondon & North Eastern Railway red & black patterned moquette, and these were fitted, as were the new LNERLondon & North Eastern Railway pattern tables. Gangways were refurbished, and its refurbished bogies fitted. The previously standard tungsten light bulbs were replaced with almost indistinguishable LED ones which use much less power whilst giving a superior level of illumination.
The restoration in full LNERLondon & North Eastern Railway prewar livery was completed in September 2016 in time for the Tornado/Flying Scotsman visit, with much effort by apprentices, volunteer and full time C&WCarriage & Wagon staff expended to meet that deadline.
Railway Heritage Register Carriage Survey
LNERLondon & North Eastern Railway (SVRSevern Valley Railway) Coach Fund
- 52255 on Railway Heritage Register On-Line
- 52255 on lnersvrcoachfund.org.uk
- 52255 on svrtrust.org.uk