GWR 1116 Full Third
|GWRGreat Western Railway 1116 Full Third|
GWRGreat Western Railway 1116 Full Third
|Built By||GWRGreat Western Railway Swindon|
|Other numbers||079157, 99231|
|Designed By||CollettCharles Benjamin Collett, Chief Mechanical Engineer (CME) of the Great Western Railway 1922-1941|
|1969||Entered preservation on SVRSevern Valley Railway|
GWRGreat Western Railway Corridor CompositeCarriage having more than one class of seating, ie First and Third or latterly First and Standard. (TK) 1116 is one of four such coaches on the SVRSevern Valley Railway, together with 1086, 1087 and 1146. By the time they were built in 1938, CMEChief Mechanical Engineer Charles CollettCharles Benjamin Collett, Chief Mechanical Engineer (CME) of the Great Western Railway 1922-1941 had introduced more modern designs to succeed the 'bow-ended' stock. These included large picture windows to replace the external door to every compartment, with access to the coach being via vestibules at each end. Following a GWRGreat Western Railway policy decision in late 1937, the 1938 design was built to a more restricted loading gauge as used by the LNERLondon & North Eastern Railway and LMSLondon Midland & Scottish Railway, such vehicles being identified by a yellow disc on the body ends. The 1938 design also reintroduced two extra entry doors on the corridor side. These particular coaches have 8 compartments each seating 8 passengers, plus a toilet at each end of the coach.
All four were built at Swindon to diagram number C77 as lot number 1593, with 1116 entering service in June 1938. Post-nationalisation, passenger service continued with BRBritish Rail or British Railways(W) with the carriage being re-numbered W1116W in accordance with normal practice.
In 1965, 1116 was one of 9 coaches withdrawn from passenger service to and transferred into Internal User stock to form a test train, based at Swindon, which was used for load testing of diesel locomotives. For this role it received the Internal UserRolling stock used for the railway’s internal purposes (stores etc.) at one fixed location. number 079157. All four of the SVRSevern Valley Railway TKs also formed part of the Swindon GWRGreat Western Railway test train.
The entire 9-coach test train was sold into preservation in 1969, with the four TKs and Corridor Composite 7284 being bought for the SVRSevern Valley Railway and the others for the GWSGreat Western Society at Didcot. All five arrived on the SVRSevern Valley Railway on 19 December. The four acquired by the SVRSevern Valley Railway were restored between 1970 and 1973, and saw service on SVR excursions on the main line as well as on the SVRSevern Valley Railway itself. Heritage carriages used on the main line were assigned TOPSTotal Operations Processing System, an American computer system adopted by BR from the late 1960s to number and manage rolling stock. numbers, with 1116 being number 99231.
1116 received a full repaint both inside and out, panel repairs and new upholstery in 2003 and a mechanical inspection and overhaul in 2006. It was repainted at Bridgnorth between May and July 2019. It is finished in GWRGreat Western Railway 1934-42 livery featuring the ‘shirt-button’ roundel.
- Harris (1966) p. 104.
- Longworth (2018) p.55.
- Longworth (2013) p.172.
- SVRSevern Valley Railway Stock Book Fifth Edition
- Railway Heritage Register Carriage Survey
- The Great Western (SVR) Association, 1116 overhaul (Retrieved 10 October 2019)
- GW(SVRSevern Valley Railway)A Newsletter, Summer 2019
- The Great Western (SVR) Association stock list (Retrieved 10 October 2019)