LMS Brake Third Corridor 26880
|LMSLondon Midland & Scottish Railway Brake Third Corridor 26880|
LMSLondon Midland & Scottish Railway Brake Third Corridor 26880
|Built By||BRBritish Rail or British Railways Derby|
|Other numbers||E26880M, DM 395979, TEST CAR NO. 9|
|Designed By||StanierWilliam Stanier, Chief Mechanical Engineer (CME) of the London, Midland and Scottish Railway 1932-1944|
|1973||Arrived on SVRSevern Valley Railway|
LMSLondon Midland & Scottish Railway Brake Third Corridor (BTK) 26880 was built in 1950 by BRBritish Rail or British Railways at Derby to diagram number 2161 lot number 1501. It is known to have carried the number E26880M, the mixed prefix and suffix denoting a coach of LMSLondon Midland & Scottish Railway design allocated to BRBritish Rail or British Railways’s Eastern region. After passenger service, it was converted in 1966 into a test car. 26880 saw departmental use as DM 395979.
26880 arrived on the SVRSevern Valley Railway on 6 January 1973 from Chaddesdon. It spent a period of use as a store; it was while serving that function at Eardington in 1989 that the original number E26880M was discovered under the later DM number. 26880 then underwent a 20 year restoration at Bridgnorth cattle dock which was completed circa 2011-12. It included provision for wheelchairs.
It forms part of the LMS Maroon set (Set L), notwithstanding that it was not built until after nationalisation and first carried Carmine and Cream livery.
- Jenkinson & Essery (1977) p. 110.
- SVRSevern Valley Railway Stock Book Ninth Edition incorrectly states Wolverton
- SVRSevern Valley Railway News 93
- LMS Carriage Association (Retrieved 25 August 2019)