GWR 3930 Full Third
|GWRGreat Western Railway 3930 Full Third|
GWRGreat Western Railway 3930 Full Third (2015)
|Built By||GWRGreat Western Railway Swindon|
|Other numbers||DW 150011|
|Designed By||ChurchwardGeorge Jackson Churchward, Chief Mechanical Engineer (CME) of the Great Western Railway 1902-1922|
|1967||Entered preservation on SVRSevern Valley Railway|
GWRGreat Western Railway Corridor Third (CK) 3930 is a ChurchwardGeorge Jackson Churchward, Chief Mechanical Engineer (CME) of the Great Western Railway 1902-1922 design incorporating the later developments of the ‘toplights’ era. Unusually, 3930 made extensive use of sheet steel rather than traditional timber for interior and exterior panelling. It was also fitted with “Fishbelly” 9 ft bogies, which were lighter than the traditional “American” type.
3930 was built at Swindon in May 1915 as lot number 1246 to diagram C32. The 56/57ft stock such as 3930 was used on ‘second string’ passenger expresses and cross country services for which the contemporaneous 70ft toplights (mainly used on services out of Paddington) were not suitable.
After ending passenger service, 3930 saw DepartmentalRolling stock used for the railway’s own functions (engineering etc.) rather than for general passenger or goods traffic. use as a mess / sleeping van number DW 150011. Three of the eight compartments and a toilet were removed to create the mess area, the other five compartments were retained as dormitories. Its final use in this role was at BarryWoodham Brothers Scrapyard, Barry, South Wales. The source of many locomotives now in preservation..
3930 was purchased by The Great Western (SVR) Association from BarryWoodham Brothers Scrapyard, Barry, South Wales. The source of many locomotives now in preservation. on 29 November 1967. Some limited restoration work was carried out in the late 1960s, including replacing the missing compartments and repairing the frame work and end panelling. A temporary coat of paint and lettering was applied so that 3930 could be used in filming The Signalman in 1976.
It was stored at Highley for some years before being moved to Bewdley in early 1986 for major repairs. This became a major restoration to a high standard which ended in late 1996, including finishing in a GWRGreat Western Railway 1922-27 livery featuring the ‘garter crest’ logo. In 1994 an SVRA raffle helped fund the costs of the re-upholstery which was approximately £5,000.
- SVRSevern Valley Railway Stock Book Ninth Edition
- Railway Heritage Register Carriage Survey
- Harris (1966)p. 72.
- GW(SVR)A retrieved 21 June 2017
- SVRSevern Valley Railway News 76
- SVRSevern Valley Railway News 120, 121
- SVRSevern Valley Railway News 115
- SVRSevern Valley Railway News 163