LMS 45048 Inspection Saloon
|LMSLondon Midland & Scottish Railway 45048 Inspection Saloon|
LMSLondon Midland & Scottish Railway Inspection Saloon 45048 (Gareth Price)
|Built By||LMSLondon Midland & Scottish Railway Wolverton|
|Status||Stored awaiting overhaul|
|Designed By||StanierWilliam Stanier, Chief Mechanical Engineer (CME) of the London, Midland and Scottish Railway 1932-1944|
|2013||Arrived on SVRSevern Valley Railway|
45048 was one of three inspection saloons built at Wolverton in 1940 as lot 1264 to Diagram 2046. It was later numbered M45048M by BRBritish Rail or British Railways and saw service until February 1981.
It was purchased for preservation in 1981, initially at Steamport (Southport) before moving to the Gloucester Warwickshire Steam Railway in 1983. Following a lengthy restoration it carried HRH The Princess Royal to open the GWSRGloucestershire Warwickshire Steam Railway (Commonly known as the Gloucestershire Warwickshire Railway)’s Cheltenham Racecourse Station. It was withdrawn from service suffering from water ingress via a leaky roof, and offered for sale in 2012.It was acquired by David Postle and moved to the SVRSevern Valley Railway by August 2013 awaiting restoration at the owner's expense.
- Jenkinson & Essery (1977) p. 185. and Railway Heritage Register Carriage Survey. Longworth gives the Lot as 1246.
- Longworth (2019) p.294.
- Railway Heritage Register On-Line
- SVRSevern Valley Railway News 184, Winter 2013-14