GWR 5804 Brake Third
|GWRGreat Western Railway 5804 Brake Third|
5804 at Bewdley in April 2017
|Built By||GWRGreat Western Railway Swindon|
|Other numbers||3406, ADW 150304|
|Designed By||CollettCharles Benjamin Collett, Chief Mechanical Engineer (CME) of the Great Western Railway 1922-1941|
|Seats||32 third (as built)|
|1991||Arrived on SVRSevern Valley Railway|
5804 in service
ConstructionGWRGreat Western Railway CollettCharles Benjamin Collett, Chief Mechanical Engineer (CME) of the Great Western Railway 1922-1941 Brake Third Corridor (BTK) 5804 was built in 1934 at Swindon as Lot 1510 to Diagram No D118.
Conversion for use in Overseas Ambulance Train 34
In 1944 the GWRGreat Western Railway provided six ambulance trains of 14 coaches each for use in Europe following the Allied invasion. 5804 was one of the coaches selected for this purpose, its conversion for use as a Pharmacy Car taking place in early 1944. Internally the coach was stripped and new partitions installed to create a pharmacy room, dressing room, sterilizing room, two store rooms and a toilet. The dressing room had a large sliding door to allow easy access from the corridor for stretchers. Sinks in the pharmacy and sterilizing rooms were fed from 75 gallon tanks installed in the roof. Externally, all doors on the non-corridor side were sealed while the corridor side retained one single door and two double doors. The livery was matt olive green with a grey roof, and a large red cross on a white background painted on the roof and sides. Westinghouse air brake equipment was fitted for use while overseas.
Following conversion, 5804 was allocated to Overseas Ambulance Train 34 where, as the sixth coach in the formation, it was numbered 3406. The complete formation was as follows:
|3401||Brake/store/boiler car||GWRGreat Western Railway Brake Third 5884|
|3402||Ward car||GWRGreat Western Railway SiphonGWR telegraphic code signifying a milk van G 2064|
|3403||Ward car||GWRGreat Western Railway SiphonGWR telegraphic code signifying a milk van G 2757|
|3404||Ward car||GWRGreat Western Railway SiphonGWR telegraphic code signifying a milk van G 2761|
|3405||Ward car||GWRGreat Western Railway SiphonGWR telegraphic code signifying a milk van G 2763|
|3406||Pharmacy car||GWRGreat Western Railway Brake Third 5804|
|3407||Ward car||GWRGreat Western Railway SiphonGWR telegraphic code signifying a milk van G 2765|
|3408||Ward car||GWRGreat Western Railway SiphonGWR telegraphic code signifying a milk van G 2767|
|3409||Ward car||GWRGreat Western Railway SiphonGWR telegraphic code signifying a milk van G 2771|
|3410||Sitting car||GWRGreat Western Railway Open Third 4567|
|3411||Kitchen / mess car||GWRGreat Western Railway Restaurant 9551|
|3412||Staff car (Enlisted men)||LMSLondon Midland & Scottish Railway Sleeper 548|
|3413||Staff car (Officers / nurses)||LMSLondon Midland & Scottish Railway Sleeper 551|
|3414||Brake / stores car||GWRGreat Western Railway Brake Third 5764|
The train was fitted out in July 1944 at the R.A.M.C. depot at Weston Camp, near Derby. The Pharmacy Car was equipped as a miniature hospital with a dressing / operating table and oxygen supply as well as the necessary surgical instruments, drugs and dressings.
The train left Southampton by sea on 2 October 1944, destined for Ostend in Belgium. A week later it was moved from there to its stabling point at Brussels (Petit Ile) by the 43rd British Ambulance Train Unit. 35 medical personnel were quartered on the train, and a Belgian baggage car was added to provide additional storage, forming a fifteen coach train in service.
Ambulance Train 34 saw almost continuous use in October and November 1944, collecting casualties from a railhead at Valkensward, near the Allied front line on the Dutch / German border. The casualties, both Allied and German, were taken to Brussels for treatment in General Hospitals there. At the end of November the train was moved to Amiens in France for the winter. Despite operational difficulties resulting from the freezing conditions, a few operational trips were made between Rouen, Lille and Ostend. March 1945 saw the train stabled at Lille, making several trips to railheads near the Dutch / German Border.
In April 1945 the train was stabled at Etterbeke depot, Brussels. The nature of its duties changed to the transfer of casualties from the Brussels General Hospitals to Convalescent Hospitals at Lille and Eekloo, and also to Ostend for repatriation by sea.Ambulance Train 34 was disbanded by the British Army Train Unit at Ostend Quay station on 2 June 1945. It had made 28 operational trips, carrying more than 6,500 casualties. The train was then taken over by the USA Army Transportation Corps, probably for use in repatriating recovered Allied prisoners from Germany to the Channel Ports, before finally returning to England towards the end of 1946.
Post-War UK service5804 was converted back to a Corridor Brake Third at Swindon and re-entered regular service in February 1947. It ended service having been converted for use as a breakdown tool van, DepartmentalRolling stock used for the railway’s own functions (engineering etc.) rather than for general passenger or goods traffic. number ADW 150304.
GWRGreat Western Railway 5804 in preservation
5804 was originally purchased for preservation in 1983, and arrived on the SVRSevern Valley Railway in 1991 from Marsh Mills, Plymouth, having been acquired by SVR(H). It is located adjacent to Bewdley car park, where it was originally used as the headquarters of the SVR Junior Club and is now used as the SVR Apprentices Mess Coach.
For some years it was located by the car park entrance; during this time the side visible to the public was painted as a war time Ambulance Car. In late March 2017 5804 was moved the other side of the car park, next to the Sales Coaches, revealing the other side in a GWRGreat Western Railway chocolate and cream livery with no insignia.
- SVRSevern Valley Railway Stock Book Ninth Edition
- Railway Heritage Register Carriage Survey
- SVRSevern Valley Railway News 116, "Wartime Service of Corridor Brake Third No 5804" (Adrian Turley)