|Towards Hartlebury||Towards Shrewsbury|
|Hartlebury (3 miles)|| Bewdley (2½ miles)|
via Burlish Halt (from 1930)
Stourport Station was located 3 miles from Hartlebury and 37¾ miles from Shrewsbury. It was considered one of the principal stations on the line, with two platforms and a passing loop from opening in 1862 as well as a small goods yard and goods shed. The station building was almost identical to those at Bewdley and Buildwas. The location of the station just a short way north of the town made it perhaps the most convenient of the Severn Valley Railway’s stations relative to the town it served.
The line through Stourport ran east-west, the goods yard being situated south of the line. In 1885, additional sidings were installed north of the line connecting to a newly built basin on the Staffordshire & Worcestershire Canal. Around this time the GWRGreat Western Railway also built two new interlocked signal boxes at each end of the station; these were named Stourport North and Stourport South, referring to the overall direction of travel rather than the geography of the station itself. From late 1887 the double line between the boxes was worked under absolute block regulations.
A level crossing was situated immediately to the west of the station. Construction of the Kidderminster and Stourport Electric Tramway was authorised in 1896. The tramway ran along Minster Road, crossing the railway at Stourport via the level crossing at a skew angle. During the tramway's construction, the GWRGreat Western Railway took the opportunity to extend the passing loop beyond the level crossing at a cost of £349, of which the Tramway company reimbursed £202.
GWR staff records for 1922 show the station had a staff of 28.
In 1927 the GWRGreat Western Railway Engineering Department reported that "improvements are being made" at Stourport.
In 1930 it was announced that "A warehouse is to be constructed at Stourport station"
The Shropshire, Worcestershire and Staffordshire Electric Power Co built a power station at Stourport after the First World War. However a direct rail connection to the Severn Valley Railway was only opened in 1940, coal deliveries before then being mainly via the River Severn or the Staffordshire & Worcestershire Canal. Once opened, the rail connection remained until January 1981, prolonging the life of the southern end of the Severn Valley Railway.
The extract from Ordnance Survey Map SO87, surveyed 1938 - 1949, published 1951, shows the branch line between Stourport Power Station (bottom) and Stourport Station (marked ‘Sta’). The line continues northwards towards Burlish Halt (top).
A 1960 BRBritish Rail or British Railways list of Loops and Refuge Sidings gives the capacities at Stourport as 29 wagons in the UpIn reference to the direction of travel means towards the major terminus (i.e. towards Kidderminster on the present day SVR) Relief Siding, 24 in the Crossing Loop, 38 in the DownIn reference to the direction of travel means away from the major terminus (i.e. towards Bridgnorth on the present day SVR) Goods Loop, and 45 in the DownIn reference to the direction of travel means away from the major terminus (i.e. towards Bridgnorth on the present day SVR) Park Loop.(All plus engine and brake van).
|Isaac Norris Hunt||18 April 1828 Clifton, Gloucestershire||August 1863||September 1866||Joined West Midland Railway August 1862. Later Station Master at Bridgnorth. Died 22 March 1899|
|John Bowen Mayers||4 January 1845 Pontypool, Monmouthshire||November 1866||January 1875||Formerly Station Master at Ironbridge. Later Station Master at Kidderminster. Retired 27 May 1905. Died 17 February 1919.|
|Samuel Partridge Hunt||20 October 1846 Droitwich, Worcestershire||January 1875||March 1877||Formerly Goods Clerk at Bridgnorth. Later Station Master at Kidderminster. Died 8 January 1926.|
|(George) James Simms||17 August 1851 Wantage, Berkshire||March 1877||January 1881|
|John Bourne||20 July 1858 Droitwich, Worcestershire||July 1882||May 1906||Pensioned 23 May 1910. Died 26 November 1928.|
|John Fortey Wilding||12/9/1862 Newnham, Hampshire||July 1906||1915?||Retired 1915?. Died 7 November 1933.|
|Martyn Pynor Morris||19/4/1859 Llandigwith, Cardiganshire||1915?||?||Died 8 August 1931.|
|Frederick Charles Buckingham||20 September 1876 Witney, Oxfordshire||By 1924||1936?||Retired 1936? Died 8 June 1961.|
|WJB Banbury||?||1936?||July 1942||Started at Ilminster in 1896 as Booking Clerk. Previously Station Master at Moretonhampstead, Cleobury Mortimer and Bewdley. Retired 11 July 1942.|
|Passenger Traffic||Freight Traffic|
|Year||Tickets issued||Parcels despatched||Revenue (£)||Tons received & despatched||Revenue (£)||Total revenue (£)|
X: Data not recorded
BRBritish Rail or British Railways ended passenger services over the Stourport Branch with effect from 6 January 1970.
The station was decommissioned and demolished in 1984. The area it formerly occupied is now part of a housing estate and no trace remains.
Historic maps of Stourport
- 1885 OSOrdnance Survey map showing Minster Road level crossing to the west and the canal to the east.
- 1902 OSOrdnance Survey map showing the canal basin and sidings.
- 1924 OSOrdnance Survey map showing the Burlish Branch to the west and a wagon turntable at the canal basin.
- 1938 OSOrdnance Survey map showing the junction to the power station to the east.
- 1905 GWRGreat Western Railway schematic plan of Stourport giving siding capacities and other details.
The town of Stourport
The origins of the Worcestershire town of Stourport date back to the completion of the Staffordshire & Worcestershire Canal in 1771. In that year John Wesley described Stourport as a "well-built village", but following the opening of the canal for trade in 1772 the village quickly grew into a town based around the large canal basins that served as the ‘port’, reaching a population of 1,300 by 1795.
The early growth of Stourport saw a corresponding decline in the fortunes of Bewdley as a port. However further significant growth of Stourport was effectively ended by the opening of the Worcester and Birmingham Canal in 1816. This provided a direct link between the two towns.
A description of the newly opened Severn Valley branch in 1863 describes: "Stourport is marked in the distance by three tall smoking chimneys, and as you pass through the station the sensitive nose detects the not unpleasant aroma of bark, leather-tanning being the staple trade of the town. Just before reaching the station the line crosses the little river which gives its name to the town, and we arrive within sight of the Severn".
Historically the town of Stourport was in the chapelry of Mitton, which lay within Kidderminster Parish. Stourport Civil Parish was created in 1928 through the union of the Lower Mitton and Upper Mitton Civil Parishes, and was in turn renamed 'Stourport-on-Severn' in 1934..
- Marshall suggested the station might have been renamed to avoid confusion with nearby Stourbridge as there was no other Stourport station. The change of name of the Civil Parish was more likely the reason.
- Vanns (1998/2013) p. 75.
- Vanns (1998/2013) p. 77.
- Marshall (1989) p. 90.
- Great Western Railway Magazine, January 1927
- Great Western Railway Magazine, January 1930
- Marshall (1989) p. 89.
- Sectional Appendix to the Working Time Tables and Books of Rules and Regulations, Birmingham Traffic District, October 1960
- Great Western Railway Magazine, August 1942 edition
- Severn Valley Railway: Railway Heritage Guide, Vanns (2017) p. 55.
- Stourport on Wikipedia
- Marshall (1989) p.12.
- "Excursions by Railway", Worcester Journal, 25 April 1863
- Worcester Branch of the Birmingham and Midland Society for Genealogy and Heraldry