SVR Passenger numbers
The SVRSevern Valley Railway publicises its passenger numbers in its annual reports, in Severn Valley Railway News and elsewhere.
Generally, the SVRSevern Valley Railway counts tickets sold, with a return ticket counting as one (not two) passengers. Passes allowing unlimited travel, such as those for shareholders and working members, were not included.
The Annual Family Pass was included from its launch in November 2012 for nominal numbers of trips per pass. This became the Loyalty Pass in April 2020.
In some years, shareholders eligible for a set number of free journeys were provided with travel vouchers that were exchanged for tickets and were thus included, but in recent years passes were issued instead.
|Year||Passenger numbers||Ticket numbers||Reference||Notes|
|1970||32,037||Opened May 1970 between Bridgnorth and Hampton Loade|
|1974||76,399||Services extended to Bewdley|
|1984||181,345||Services extended to Kidderminster|
|2007||139,000||2007 Storm Damage|
|2010||225,570||Since 2010, documents sent to shareholders became valid as a ticket which did not need to be exchanged for travel.|
|2012||202,552||Annual Family Pass introduced in November|
|2015||245,800||204,889||||It is estimated that 245,800 people visited the Railway in 2015 compared with 244,800 in 2014.|
|2016||252,330||208,479||||During 2016 passenger surveys identified forms of ticket and passes used, and the passenger number was recalculated to an estimated 252,330 (245,800 - 2015) using an average of 18.7% of non-payment passengers. This is directly comparable to the era when shareholders’ travel vouchers were exchanged for tickets.|
|2018||245,031||198,432||SVRSevern Valley Railway News 205, p.14; Annual Report and Financial Statements p.8||There was an increase of 10,351 fare-paying passengers attending special events. From 2018 passenger surveys an estimated 17.3% were 'non-payment passengers'.|
- Loyalty Pass (formerly Annual Family Pass)
- Shareholder benefits
- Spring Steam Gala passenger numbers
- Autumn Steam Gala passenger numbers
- SVR Forum shareholders' Passes thread
- Chairman's Statement, SVRSevern Valley Railway(H) published accounts
- 'Passenger numbers', SVRLive (Retrieved 16 February 2018)
- SVRSevern Valley Railway Shareholders' Newsletter 2018, undated
- SVRSevern Valley Railway(H) Annual Report for period ended 2 January 2018, p.8
- SVRSevern Valley Railway Shareholders' Newsletter 2019, undated, p. 9.
- SVRSevern Valley Railway(H) annual report and financial statements for the period ended 5 January 2020
Severn Valley Railway (Holdings) PLC (company 01046274) annual reports on Companies House