Severn Valley Railway News
Severn Valley Railway News is the quarterly magazine of the Severn Valley Railway Company Limited provided free to its members, and on sale for £3 as of 2019[update] at SVR shops. The first edition was produced in 1965, the year of the Cooper’s Arms meeting.
Editions 1-10 were A4 sheets produced on a hand-operated duplicator, the current A5 booklet format was adopted from issue 11. Since issue 11 the format has remained consistent, although increasing in size from 20 pages + covers to 72 pages in issue 208 (Winter 2019). Sizes do vary according to other material to be posted, to save postage. Issues 209 and 210 (Spring and Summer 2020) were 64 and 56 pages respectively, the latter to allow inclusion of The Way Ahead, a COVID-19 themed supplement.
From issue 209 (Spring 2020) the magazine is wrapped in an environmentally-friendly potato starch envelope.
- Details of the Officers of the current SVR organisations and departmental structures
- An editorial and summary of the content
- Diary of events
- General Manager's Notes
- Notes from various railway departments
- News items
- Letters to the Editor
- Branch meetings
- Small ads
Although a magazine of the Guarantee Company, it frequently includes material relating to the other SVRSevern Valley RailwaySVRA:Severn Valley Railway AssociationSVRS:Severn Valley Railway Society organisations.
- The first 2 issues were produced by Paul Wyers.
- David Williams took over as editor for issue 3 in July 1966, and remarkably is still the editor as of the latest issue having held the role for over 50 years.
SVR S&T website with a library of S&TSignals & Telegraph notes from edition 151 onwards