SVR Pannier Tank Fund
The SVRSevern Valley Railway Pannier Tank Fund owns the two GWRGreat Western Railway CollettCharles Benjamin Collett, Chief Mechanical Engineer (CME) of the Great Western Railway 1922-1941 5700 class pannier tanks 5764 and 7714. It also purchased classmate 3612 for spares recovery, which was then scrapped at Eardington.
The Fund had its origins with the SVRA Kidderminster Branch who conducted a search to find a suitable pannier tank for the SVRSevern Valley Railway around 1970. None of those in use by the NCBNational Coal Board at the time were available, so L95 (5764) was acquired from London Transport in 1971. In 1973 tender forms were received from the NCBNational Coal Board for 7714 and further fund raising allowed the purchase of the Fund's second pannier. In 1977 the the Kidderminster branch committee recorded their thanks to those who had contributed to the Pannier Tank Fund.
In 2019 a new exhibition 'L95, A Locomotive History from London to the Severn Valley Railway' opened in The Engine House. The display includes copies of documents relating to the establishment of the Fund and the acquisition of L95.
The Fund does not have a public presence through social media or website.
- SVRSevern Valley Railway News 46, "The Saga of the Pannier Tanks" by John Hill