GWR 13154 5 plank Open Goods Wagon
|GWRGreat Western Railway 13154 5 plank Open Goods Wagon|
GWRGreat Western Railway 13154 5 plank Open Goods Wagon
|Built By||GWRGreat Western Railway Swindon|
|Other Numbers||PBA 58206|
|Type||4-w 5-plank Open|
|Telegraphic code||OPEN A|
|Brakes||DCIII, non-vac fitted|
|1985||Arrived on SVRSevern Valley Railway|
Service and preservation
GWRGreat Western Railway 5 plank Open Goods Wagon 13154 was built at the GWRGreat Western Railway’s Swindon Works as part of Lot 741 between 1912 and 1913. It saw service with the GWRGreat Western Railway, BRBritish Rail or British Railways(W) and subsequently with the Port of Bristol Authority as number PBA 58206.
13154 was preserved in 1975, initially at the West Somerset Railway and then at Bristol Industrial Museum. 13154 and OPEN B 102691 were delivered from there to Kidderminster on 28 March 1985. Both were in an unusable condition and were initially stored in Kidderminster yard with OPEN A 98480 which had arrived several years earlier. At the start of 1986 the two requiring the least attention, 13154 and 98480, were moved to Bewdley for restoration. 13154’s restoration required complete timber and curb rail replacement, welding repairs to cracks in both headstocksThe underframe member across each end of a wagon carrying the buffers and coupling. Known as the Bufferbeam on a locomotive. and the replacement of four carrying springs, one bearing, two buffer springs and one cracked buffer head. Parts were also salvaged from another similar wagon number 13260 which had been acquired to be broken up for that purpose. On completion, 13154 was painted in grey with 25" high "GW" lettering.
13154 received a further overhaul at some time between 2008 and 2011. A couple of floor planks and several side, end, and door planks were replaced. All 8 spring mounting brackets also had to be replaced, as they were worn where the end of the spring leaf sat and had become corroded beyond acceptable limits. New brackets were therefore pressed to shape, using blanks which had been obtained some time earlier for that purpose, and were riveted to the solebarsThe outer member of a vehicle's underframe, running from end to end below the body. The sheet supporter was modified to match that fitted to 5 plank Open Goods Wagon 108085, being a more accurate style for the wagon. On completion of the overhaul, 13154 was again repainted in GWRGreat Western Railway grey livery.
During 2015 excessive wear was noted in some of the parts of the handbrake mechanism. The wagon remained in use while new components were machined, before being moved into Bewdley Down Yard in April 2016 for further attention. The floor planks were replaced with a mixture of new and used planks, while the braking equipment was also renewed and refurbished. Pictures of some of the work involved appeared on the SVR-Online forum.
13154 is normally in service as part of the Demonstration Goods Train and is owned by The GWR 813 Preservation Fund.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 SVRSevern Valley Railway Stock Book 9th Edition
- ↑ Railway Heritage Register Wagon Survey
- ↑ GWR813.org
- ↑ SVRSevern Valley Railway News 82
- ↑ SVRSevern Valley Railway Stock Book Eighth Edition, "Vehicles scrapped on the SVRSevern Valley Railway"
- ↑ SVRSevern Valley Railway News 84
- ↑ SVRSevern Valley Railway News 175
- ↑ SVRSevern Valley Railway News 191