The 2857 Society
On 21 July 2020 the Financial Conduct Authority registered The Society as a Charitable Community Benefit Society (number 8422). On 1 September 2020 the assets and liabilities of the unincorporated 1974 Society, as well as the shares issued in 2857 by the Society and the membership of the Society, were formally transferred to the Charitable Community Benefit Society.The Society is also a minor shareholder of Severn Valley Railway (Holdings) PLC.
Rolling stock formerly owned by the Society
Until 2014 The Society owned and used GWRGreat Western Railway carriage 5043 (now under conversion to GWR 9581 Wheelchair accessible Buffet Car) as a workshop, when it was transferred to the Great Western (SVR) Association. Since 2014 it uses Bewdley-based GWR 143 Tool & Packing Van.
Limited edition prints
The Society has produced limited edition prints to raise funds:
- 'Accelerating the Goods' was a signed and numbered print from John Austin GRA painting showing 2857 in as-built condition, with inside steam passage cylinders, accelerating a goods train on the up fast line from Reading in evening sunlight.
- Prints of a Bob Kyte pen and ink drawing of 2857 in an 'as restored' condition.
- List of preservation groups
- LMS 730866 Goods Brake Van
- GWR 143 Tool & Packing Van
- Wagons formerly resident on the SVR
- GWR 9581 Wheelchair accessible Buffet Car
- Charities associated with the SVR