GWR 83831 Loco Coal Wagon
|GWRGreat Western Railway 83831 Loco Coal Wagon|
GWRGreat Western Railway 83831 Loco Coal Wagon
|Built By||GWRGreat Western Railway Swindon|
|Other Numbers||CB 66|
|Type||4-wheel steel open|
|1985||Arrived on SVRSevern Valley Railway|
83831 was built at Swindon circa 1931-32 to Diagram N27, Lot 1084. When originally constructed at Swindon this vehicle was fitted with GWRGreat Western Railway DClll ratchet brakes (later replaced - probably by B.R.British Rail or British Railways - with Morton lever brakes). It was later sold by BRBritish Rail or British Railways(W) to the CEGB for use at the Carmarthen Bay Power Station, numbered CB 66.
83831 was acquired from there in 1985 by its present owners, The GWR 813 Preservation Fund, arriving on the SVRSevern Valley Railway on 14 March of that year. It was initially in poor condition with rusty bodywork and damaged headstocksThe underframe member across each end of a wagon carrying the buffers and coupling. Known as the Bufferbeam on a locomotive. and buffer casings resulting from being used at the CEGB with broken buffer springs. It also had a lopsided appearance due to the two sides having different springs and tyres of different thickness.
83831 was totally rebuilt at Bewdley over the winter of 1985-1986 with the floor and platework being replaced and the various faults remedied. The seven month restoration was completed in June 1986. Despite its large capacity, it initially saw little use due to the difficulty of emptying it through its comparatively small side doors.
In spring 2004 83831 returned to the Wagon Department for a repaint and what was anticipated to be minor repairs to the wagon floor. Further investigation revealed that subsequent use, including storing coal, loco ash and also rubble from the rebuilding of Highley platform, had reduced the original 6mm steel floor to a thickness of only 1mm in places. A new floor was therefore fitted for a second time in preservation, with completion of the overhaul and painting coinciding with the 2005 Autumn Steam Gala. It was subsequently used to store drums of cable for the S&TSignals & Telegraph department. In June 2021 it was moved outside Bewdley Goods Shed for work by the Wagon Department on its leaf springs.
83831 is principally used in the Demonstration Goods Train.
- Goss P., Facebook, 21 June 2021 (Retrieved 26 June 2021)
- Railway Heritage Wagon Survey
- SVRSevern Valley Railway Stock Book 9th Edition
- SVRSevern Valley Railway News 80 / 82
- SVRSevern Valley Railway News 147
- SVRSevern Valley Railway News 152