GWR 89 Riding/Dormitory Van
|GWRGreat Western Railway 89 Riding/Dormitory Van|
GWRGreat Western Railway Riding and Dormitory Van 89
|Built By||GWRGreat Western Railway Swindon|
|Other Numbers||DW 89|
|Type||4-w riding/dormitory van|
|1972||Arrived on SVRSevern Valley Railway|
|2021||Acquisition by the Great Western (SVR) Association|
It arrived on the SVRSevern Valley Railway from Worcester on 29 January 1972.
Following the death of long-time owner Pete Simpson, agreement was reached in 2021 with the administrators of his estate for the van to be acquired by the Great Western (SVR) Association. Subsequently, new larch cladding was installed at the "officer's end." By 2023 work had commenced on repairs to the frame on the south end of the town side.
The Association has been sorting through the material and tools left by Pete, much of which can be utilised by the Association. Once cleared, it is likely that GWRGreat Western Railway 89 will be used as the Association's mess van, GWR 98 Full Brake having insufficient space for that purpose in addition to acting as a workshop vehicle and store.
It is situated in Bewdley Down Yard.
- ↑ Railway Heritage Register Wagon Survey
- ↑ SVRSevern Valley Railway Stock Book Ninth Edition
- ↑ GW(SVR)AGreat Western (SVR) Association Newsletter Winter 2022, Editorial by Chris Haynes.
- ↑ GW(SVR)AGreat Western (SVR) Association Facebook post 4 November 2022
- ↑ GW(SVR)AGreat Western (SVR) Association Facebook post 5 May 2023
- ↑ GW(SVR)AGreat Western (SVR) Association Newsletter Summer 2022, Editorial by Chris Haynes