GWR 82554 Banana Van
|GWRGreat Western Railway 82554 Banana Van|
GWRGreat Western Railway 82554 Banana Van
|Built By||GWRGreat Western Railway Swindon|
|Other Numbers||DW 82554|
|Type||4-w non-ventilated van|
|Telegraphic code||FRUIT B (ex MINK A)|
|1925||Converted to FRUIT B|
|1969||Arrived on SVRSevern Valley Railway|
82554 ended its working life in DepartmentalRolling stock used for the railway’s own functions (engineering etc.) rather than for general passenger or goods traffic. use at Worcester. It arrived on the SVRSevern Valley Railway on 8 March 1969 having been privately acquired by SVRSevern Valley Railway member J Moss, and was initially restored as a Banana Van at Bewdley later that year. It was then used for storage, but after a period of disuse it was acquired by The GWR 813 Preservation Fund in 1991.
A major overhaul began in spring 1992, considered by the Wagon Department at the time to be the most extensive (and expensive) rebuild of a covered van to date. Both headstocks were renewed, together with the curb rails, chassis diagonal bracing and several sections of body uprights. New body planks were fitted and the vacuum brake equipment, which had been removed prior to arrival on the SVRSevern Valley Railway, was reinstated. The roof was also re-canvassed and the overhaul completed in summer 1994.
82554 can normally be found at Bridgnorth MPD where it is used for storage. The picture below shows 82554 at Bewdley in 2012.
- Railway Heritage Register Wagon Survey
- Atkins, Beard & Tourret (2013) pp. 36, 442.
- SVRSevern Valley Railway Stock Book Seventh Edition
- SVRSevern Valley Railway News 19, Spring 1971
- SVRSevern Valley Railway Stock Book Ninth Edition
- SVRSevern Valley Railway News 102
- SVRSevern Valley Railway News 107, 111
- SVRSevern Valley Railway News 152
- SVRSevern Valley Railway News 163