GWR 2501 'Rotank' 6-Wheeled Road Milk Tank Flat Wagon
|GWRGreat Western Railway 2501 'Rotank' 6-Wheeled Road Milk Tank Flat Wagon|
GW 2501 at Arley, July 2021
|Built By||GWRGreat Western Railway Swindon|
|Other Numbers||W2501W, ADW150142|
|Designed By||CollettCharles Benjamin Collett, Chief Mechanical Engineer (CME) of the Great Western Railway 1922-1941|
|Type||6-wheel milk tank trailer truck|
|2021||Arrived on the SVRSevern Valley Railway|
2501 was the first of 15 such vehicles built by the GWRGreat Western Railway between 1932 and 1936. It was one of three built in 1932 as Lot 1485 to Diagram O37 (this is a Coach series diagram number, the vehicles being classified as Non Passenger Carrying Coaching Stock). It was used by the Co-Operative Wholesale Society.
After nationalisation, 2501 continued in use with BRBritish Rail or British Railways(W) as number W2501W. In July 1957 it was re-numbered ADW150142,[note 1] having been converted by BRBritish Rail or British Railways for DepartmentalRolling stock used for the railway’s own functions (engineering etc.) rather than for general passenger or goods traffic. use as a mobile fuel tank carrier at Reading Depot.
2501 is owned by The GWR 813 Preservation Fund. After several years stored at a private site in Evesham and having the BRBritish Rail or British Railways fuel tank modifications removed, it was moved to Arley to be used as a crane runner for GWR 446 6Ton Hand Crane
- Longworth and other sources give the number as DW150142, however the 'ADW' prefix is still faintly visible on the wagon as delivered in July 2021.
- Longworth (2018) p.145.
- GWRGreat Western Railway 813 Fund
- Longworth (2018) p.169.
- Railway Heritage Register Wagon Survey