I found a broken icon link which was referring to a "version 1241". I tried the fix we used before of adding "?action=purge" to the URL and reloading but no effect. Curiously, loading any previous version of this page from the history worked fine even though nothing had changed in the file reference.
A minor edit fixed that icon but broke another one.
A second minor edit fixed both.
As I edit this, i notice the url is www.svrwiki.com/version1241/index.... Don't think I've seen that happen before. Possible problem? --Robin (talk) 16:48, 21 July 2016 (UTC)
- Additional info, revisited the page and the second broken icon was wrong again (Map 1, Arley station which is just like all the other stations!). Tried another purge and different icons have the same problem. I won't try anything else for now.--Robin (talk) 16:57, 21 July 2016 (UTC)
- The wiki does actually reside in the /version1241/ folder on the server - I can't say I remember why it was left there, but I suspect the answer is that we didn't know what would break if we tried moving it! Therefore, I don't think that should be the cause of the icon issues. I have a very, very vague recollection that it can take some time for icons to be generated, but I might be making that up. I also recall having some similar issues with icons seemingly randomly going disappearing (again, I think it was the map), but I can't think of what else happened...
- Either way, all the icons appear to be working for me! --Danny252 (talk) 18:16, 21 July 2016 (UTC)
- New thought - all the map icons aren't actually hosted locally; instead, they're pulled from Wikimedia Commons. I suspect it's some sort of communication problem (either on our side or theirs) causing that. And having said it was all working, they have started misbehaving for me too! --Danny252 (talk) 18:19, 21 July 2016 (UTC)
- The version 1241 folder was created when we upgraded to MediaWiki version 1.24.1, although I see we are now actually on version 1.24.6. The old version was left on the server as a back up in case of problems, but was found to be a source of spam attacks, so once the new version was proved to be stable, the old version was deleted.The icons for the map of the present SVRSevern Valley Railway were originally hosted here. By the time the other maps were created, we had enabled use of Wikimedia Commons images, so now those are the ones used. The maps on Wikipedia are based on a proper railway map template, ours are just the image files in a table. It's all working OK for me at the moment. If it proves to be an ongoing problem, I suppose we could just locally host the couple of dozen icons that we use out of the hundreds available.--Graham Phillips 110 (talk) 09:07, 22 July 2016 (UTC)
- Yes, I think you're right that we updated from (some version) to 1.24.1, and like you say, the "original" (which was in /wiki/ or similar, and hence easily found if looking for it) was causing issues. I put in the patches from 1.24.1 to 1.24.6 last night to see if they fixed it, but they didn't appear to - however, it's all working for me too now! --Danny252 (talk) 12:53, 22 July 2016 (UTC)