BR Riddles 4MT 80072
From SVR Wiki
BRBritish Rail or British Railways Standard Class 4 2-6-4T tank engine designed by R.A. RiddlesRobert Arthur "Robin" Riddles, Member of the Railway Executive for Mechanical and Electrical Engineering responsible for the design of the British Rail Standard Class locomotives. The Class 4 tank engine was derived from the ex-LMSLondon Midland & Scottish Railway FairburnCharles Edward Fairburn, Chief Mechanical Engineer (CME) of the London, Midland and Scottish Railway 1944-1945 2-6-4T, and was used mainly on commuter and outer suburban services. A total of 155 were built, of which 15 have survived into preservation. Her sister, 80079 is an SVRSevern Valley Railway resident and a brief history of the class on the SVRSevern Valley Railway can be found on that page.
This very useful engine is based at the Llangollen Railway and is owned by 80072 Steam Locomotive Co Ltd. She has visited the SVRSevern Valley Railway many times in preservation.
- Spring Steam Galas 2011 and 2013
- Winter hire for Christmas services 2011 and 2017.
In addition 80072 is a rarity, an engine that worked over the SVRSevern Valley Railway in service before being preserved. She was photographed on the line on three occasions during the very cold winter of 1962-63 (whilst allocated to Swansea East Dock, 87D). It featured at the beginning of the acclaimed 1963 short film Snow. Images can be found in the Sellick Collection.
- Steam Locomotives visiting the SVR for galas
- Steam Locomotives hired by the SVR
- BR Riddles 4MT 80079
- Sellick Collection
- Locomotives used on the Severn Valley Branch in commercial service
- ↑ 80000 page, BRDatabase (Retrieved 23 April 2017)
- ↑ Snow (a film), dir. by Jones, G., 1963 via BFI National Archive (Retrieved 9 December 2020)