Autumn Steam Gala
The event has also extended in duration and now typically incorporates a 'Preview day' on the preceding Thursday to the standard timetable but with visiting locomotives, and three days of Gala from Friday to Sunday inclusive with overnight running on the Friday and Saturday nights. One popular operation is the running of a "Breakfast train" using the Severn Valley Venturer stock. Other common features include demonstration freight trains and shorter local, part-line services.
From time to time visiting locomotives are utilised for regular passenger services in the days after the gala. They were also often used for private photographic charters until the practice was ended in 2021.
- 1975 First Enthusiasts Day, with 11 locomotives in steam.
- 1976 First Enthusiasts Weekend.
- 1980 LMS Stanier Jubilee 45690 Leander participated before undergoing a contract boiler overhaul.
- 1984 First guest locomotive at an Autumn Steam Gala (5051 "Drysllwyn Castle")
- 1989 The "Autumn Steam Spectacular" was the last Autumn Steam Gala featuring home locomotives only.
- 1993 First overnight running took place.
- 1998 First three day gala.
- 2000 The Autumn Steam Gala was cancelled due to the boiler crisis.
- 2007 The Autumn Steam Gala took place despite the storm damage which closed the line north of Bewdley. The Gala included services running on the main line to Birmingham Snow Hill as well as between Kidderminster and Bewdley, the only unaffected section of the SVRSevern Valley Railway.
- 2016 The Autumn Steam Gala was replaced by the 'Pacific Power' event featuring visiting locomotives LNERLondon & North Eastern Railway GresleySir Nigel Gresley, Chief Mechanical Engineer (CME) of the London & North Eastern Railway 1923-1941 A3 PacificLocomotive with a 4-6-2 wheel configuration No. 60103 'Flying Scotsman' and LNERLondon & North Eastern Railway Peppercorn A1 PacificLocomotive with a 4-6-2 wheel configuration No. 60163 'Tornado'.
- 2020 The Autumn Steam Gala was cancelled due to the 2020 coronavirus disease (COVID-19) pandemic
From time-to-time the SVRSevern Valley Railway publishes the number of Gala passengers, according to the method of counting these which has varied over time (for example, since 2010 documents sent to shareholders became valid as a ticket which did not need to be exchanged for travel). The following is an incomplete record:
|Year||Number of passengers||Reference||Notes|
|2015||7,300||||Over the Preview day and three days of Gala|
|2016||n/a||Replaced by 'PacificLocomotive with a 4-6-2 wheel configuration Power' event.|
|2018||6,335||||Over the Preview day and three days of Gala|
- SVRSevern Valley Railway News 37
- SVRSevern Valley Railway News 94
- SVR Forum shareholders' Passes thread
- SVRSevern Valley Railway(H) published accounts
- 'Autumn Steam Gala 2014', SVR Online thread
- 'Autumn Steam Gala 2015', SVR Online forum thread
- SVRSevern Valley Railway News 200
- Express Points November 2018
- NBINotice Board Issue. The SVR's on-line method of circulating information to working members.