Difference between revisions of "WD 193 Shropshire"
m (featured article)
|Line 60:||Line 60:|
Revision as of 15:42, 30 July 2018
|WD 193 Shropshire|
WD 193 in Bridgnorth Yard in 1972 (David Cooke)
|Built By||Hunslet Engine Company|
|Status||Out of service|
|Loco Number||WD 193|
|Other Numbers||Works Number 3793|
|Designed By||Hunslet Engine Company|
|1971||Arrived on SVRSevern Valley Railway|
|1981||Sold by the SVRSevern Valley Railway|
|1984||Left the SVRSevern Valley Railway on loan|
|Tractive effort||23.870 lb|
|Pressure||170 lb/sq in|
WD 193 'Shropshire' was resident on the SVRSevern Valley Railway between 1971 and 1981.
The War Department Austerity 0-6-0ST was the standard World War II shunting engine, designed by the Hunslet Engine Company in Leeds and built between 1942 and 1946 to the requirements of the Ministry of Supply. A number of these engines were also built by sub-contractors. The design continued to be built into the 1950s for industrial users, including the National Coal Board. This locomotive was built by Hunslet in 1953 as Works Number 3793, and formed part of a further batch ordered for WD (Army) use, who allocated the number WD 193.
WD 193 in service
WD 193 was initially put into store, but later moved to the WD-operated Shropshire & Montgomeryshire Light Railway based at Kinnerley, where it saw intermittent use. On 20 March 1960 WD 193 worked a special last train over the S & M organised by the Stephenson Locomotive Society, before moving to the Arncott workshops at Bicester in June 1960. During the 1960s 193 was kept at the Long Marston Depot, mainly in store.
WD 193 in preservation
After being declared surplus to requirements by the MOD, WD 193 was bought in June 1971 for use on the SVRSevern Valley Railway. Following a re-paint into a dark green livery while still at Long Marston, 193 was moved to the SVRSevern Valley Railway in August of that year. WD 193 thereafter saw regular use, recording mileage in every year of the 1970s. In the early 1970s the locomotive hauled all the Santa services single handed.
In 1977 WD 193 was repainted into a crimson lake livery. The locomotive was also given the name 'Shropshire'.
Move from the SVRSevern Valley Railway
In 1981 WD 193 was lent to the 6000 Locomotive Association who were based at the Bulmers Railway Centre at Hereford. The locomotive traveled there in steam in convoy with 4930 Hagley Hall and ‘Black 5’ LMSLondon Midland & Scottish Railway 5000 which were setting off on main line duties. The move to Hereford eventually became permanent, with the SVRSevern Valley Railway Board announcing in late 1983 that WD 193 was being sold.From 1999 WD 193 was based at the Ribble Steam Railway in Preston.
SVRSevern Valley Railway News
Severn Valley Railway Stock Book, seventh edition.