Open House Weekend
Traditionally held each spring, this event began as an annual 'Members Day'. The first Members' Day advertised in SVRSevern Valley Railway News 'forthcoming events' was on 1 April 1995, featuring an increased train service with visits and displays behind the scenes for SVRSevern Valley Railway members.. The event continued in that format until 2004, but in 2005 a second day was added to become the Members & Shareholders Weekend. The 'behind the scenes' exhibits became open to the public as well as members and shareholders, and the event was ultimately renamed the 'Open House Weekend' to reflect this, the first Open House Weekend taking place on 16-17 April 2016.
In 2020 a severe acute respiratory syndrome, coronavirus disease (COVID-19), was declared a pandemic. It caused widespread disruption and international travel restrictions. On 18 March the SVRSevern Valley Railway cancelled all services and cancelled this and several other events.
Attractions vary from year-to-year but in 2017 included:
- Intensive train service, featuring local services and visiting locomotive from the Spring Steam Gala.
- Diesel locomotive services.
- Bridgnorth Loco Works and Bewdley Down Yard, as well as Bridgnorth, Bewdley North and Kidderminster Signalboxes open for visits.
- UpIn reference to the direction of travel means towards the major terminus (i.e. towards Kidderminster on the present day SVR) to 30 model railway layouts on display in Kidderminster Diesel Depot and Engine House.
- Kidderminster Diesel Depot open for visits
- A locomotive on display on Kidderminster Turntable.
- The Coalyard Miniature Railway at Kidderminster (additional charge applies).
- Paddock Garden Railway at Hampton Loade.
- On-train Cream Tea Service
- Diesel Footplate Experiences
Peep Behind the Scenes
This second event, Peep Behind the Scenes, was held between 2010 and 2017 and also allowed visitors a chance to see some areas of the railway that are not normally open to the public.
- SVRSevern Valley Railway News 113