LNER 24068 Composite Corridor Brake
24068 is a Brake CompositeCarriage having more than one class of seating, ie First and Third or latterly First and Standard. Corridor (BCK). It has a welded underframe and was outshopped in 1937 as one of 69 built to Diagram 169 between 1936 and 1940, with Rexinean early form of vinyl used by the LNER for wall coverings in teak coaches interior in art-deco style.
24068 was purchased for preservation by Dr F.G.A Noon in 1968 and passed to the LNERLondon & North Eastern Railway (SVRSevern Valley Railway) Coach Fund in 1979. It moved to the SVRSevern Valley Railway in 1972. Between 1982 and 1987 it carried its BRBritish Rail or British Railways number GE10078E, and was withdrawn for an overhaul in 1992. This began in spring of 1997, initially with a cosmetic overhaul as the first vehicle through the SVRSevern Valley Railway’s new paint shop. Following a number of photo charters with 61994 The Great Marquess, a full restoration began in October 1997. This was completed in 2000, with the coach now in LNERLondon & North Eastern Railway livery as 24068.
24068 was one of three coaches which in 2010 were gifted by the LNERLondon & North Eastern Railway (SVRSevern Valley Railway) Coach Fund to the SVRSevern Valley Railway Rolling Stock Trust (now the Severn Valley Railway Charitable Trust Ltd), along with 43600 and 70759.
Railway Heritage Register Carriage Survey
LNERLondon & North Eastern Railway (SVRSevern Valley Railway) Coach Fund