LMS 26986 Brake Third Corridor
|LMSLondon Midland & Scottish Railway 26986 Brake Third Corridor|
LMSLondon Midland & Scottish Railway 26986 Brake Third Corridor
|Built By||BRBritish Rail or British Railways Wolverton|
|Designed By||StanierWilliam Stanier, Chief Mechanical Engineer (CME) of the London, Midland and Scottish Railway 1932-1944|
|1971||Arrived on SVRSevern Valley Railway|
|1975||Attended Rail 150 at Shildon|
It was built in 1951 by BRBritish Rail or British Railways at Wolverton as lot number 1506 to diagram number 2161. Unlike the Corridor Composite version, the Brake Third Corridor continued the use of timber framing with steel top, bottom and corner members. The livery when new in service was BRBritish Rail or British Railways Crimson and Cream. The later BRBritish Rail or British Railways number M26986M indicates continued use in the BRBritish Rail or British Railways London Midland region.
Having been privately purchased the week before, 26986 was collected from Worcester on 20 September 1971 and delivered to Bewdley by the diesel hauled train bringing LMR 600 Gordon and three Ex-Longmoor Saloons from the Longmoor Military Railway via Didcot. After refurbishment, 26986 was one of the three SVRSevern Valley Railway carriages which attended the Rail 150 celebrations at Shildon in 1975, travelling there behind 8233 and 43106. It is the only one of the three carriages still based at the SVRSevern Valley Railway.
26986 forms part of the LMS Maroon set (Set L), notwithstanding that it was not built until after nationalisation.
In 2016 its future as part of the SVRSevern Valley Railway's LMSLondon Midland & Scottish Railway carriage fleet was assured through its purchase by the SVR Charitable Trust.
Railway Heritage Register Carriage Survey
SVRSevern Valley Railway Stock Book Eighth Edition
SVRSevern Valley Railway News 37