LMS 149 Buffet Car
|LMSLondon Midland & Scottish Railway 149 Buffet Car|
LMSLondon Midland & Scottish Railway 149 Buffet Car
|Built By||BRCWBirmingham Railway Carriage & Wagon Company, Smethwick|
|Designed By||StanierWilliam Stanier, Chief Mechanical Engineer (CME) of the London, Midland and Scottish Railway 1932-1944|
|Type||QF, TO (as built)|
|Seats||27 third (56 as built)|
|1971||Arrived on SVRSevern Valley Railway|
|1985-86||Refitted as Bar Car 149|
|1996||Operated in chocolate and cream as 9355|
|2006||Reverted to maroon and 149|
LMSLondon Midland & Scottish Railway Buffet Car 149 began life as LMSLondon Midland & Scottish Railway Open Third (TO) 9355. 9355 was designed by W A (later Sir William) StanierWilliam Stanier, Chief Mechanical Engineer (CME) of the London, Midland and Scottish Railway 1932-1944 following his appointment as CMEChief Mechanical Engineer to the LMSLondon Midland & Scottish Railway. It was built by the BRC&WBirmingham Railway Carriage & Wagon Company at Smethwick in 1936 as lot number 954 to Diagram 1915, with 7½ seating bays giving 56 seats.
After service with the LMSLondon Midland & Scottish Railway and BRBritish Rail or British Railways, 9355 was one of two carriages acquired by Gilt Edge Carpets of Kidderminster for use as a mobile carpet showroom, the train being hauled by former SVRSevern Valley Railway resident 61994 The Great Marquess.
Gilt Edge Carpets donated it to the SVRSevern Valley Railway in 1971. On arrival on 23 August it had no internal fittings and was initially used as a Bar Car with loose tables and chairs, and later with fixed seats and a counter. A major refit in 1985-86 saw a conversion to the design of a 1930s LMSLondon Midland & Scottish Railway Buffet Car with 27 seats, following which it was given the fictitious number 149 as a continuation of the original 1932 145 - 148 Bar Car series.
In 1996 it was repainted in GWRGreat Western Railway livery for use in the SVRSevern Valley Railway Dining Car set. It remained in this condition, numbered 9355, for ten years.
In 2006 it was again repainted in LMSLondon Midland & Scottish Railway livery as 149 and now is regularly used in the LMS Maroon set (Set L). With the exception of the half-bay near the vestibule, it is fitted with the same style of table lamps as fitted to LMS 7511 Restaurant First Open.
149 is owned by SVR(H).
Railway Heritage Register Carriage Survey
SVRSevern Valley Railway Stock Book Ninth Edition
- 9355 on Railway Heritage Register On-Line
- Sharpo's World blog, 16 February 2005 (Retrieved 1 January 2019)