GWR Pannier 7714
|GWRGreat Western Railway Pannier 7714|
7714 at Bewdley
|Built By||Kerr Stuart & Co., Stoke|
|Power class||4FThe British Railways system of classifying steam locomotives by power using a number from 0, least powerful, to 9, most powerful, followed by either F for freight, P for Passenger or MT for Mixed Traffic.|
|Designed By||Charles CollettCharles Benjamin Collett, Chief Mechanical Engineer (CME) of the Great Western Railway 1922-1941|
|Type||GWRGreat Western Railway 5700|
|1973||Arrived on the SVRSevern Valley Railway|
|2009||Withdrawn for overhaul|
7714 is a GWRGreat Western Railway CollettCharles Benjamin Collett, Chief Mechanical Engineer (CME) of the Great Western Railway 1922-1941 5700 class 0-6-0PT ‘pannier tank’, one of two examples on the SVRSevern Valley Railway (the other being 5764).
7714 in service
The GWRGreat Western Railway 5700 class 0-6-0PT ‘pannier tank’ was the largest class of engine designed and built by the Great Western Railway; more than 860 were built between 1929 and 1950. Pannier tanks could be found at work all over the former GWRGreat Western Railway system and although designed primarily for shunting duties, they were regularly used on local freight and passenger workings. The class was rated 4FThe British Railways system of classifying steam locomotives by power using a number from 0, least powerful, to 9, most powerful, followed by either F for freight, P for Passenger or MT for Mixed Traffic. by British Railways.
7714 was built for the GWRGreat Western Railway by Kerr Stuart & Co. of Stoke, Works No 4449 of 1930. It entered service at Tyseley the same year, and worked until withdrawn by BRBritish Rail or British Railways in 1959, having run an estimated 520,259 miles in service.
7714 was sold to the National Coal Board for use at their Penallta Colliery near Rhymney in South Wales. Initially used daily, the long wheelbase proved unsuitable for the tight curves in the track there so it mostly acted as a spare engine.
7714 in preservation
7714 came to the SVRSevern Valley Railway in 1973 following a successful bid by the SVRA – Kidderminster Branch. A lengthy restoration followed; the locomotive was not first steamed until 1992. The locomotive is now owned by the SVR Pannier Tank Fund, who also own GWR Pannier 5764.
7714 last saw service in August 2009. Following a period on display in The Engine House, an overhaul was undertaken at Bridgnorth. It is thought the damage to the right hand half of the cylinder casting occurred during its NCBNational Coal Board ownership. The riveting of the boiler barrel had been completed by January 2016, with the boiler passing its out of frames steam test in August 2016. The locomotive was painted in BRBritish Rail or British Railways black at Bridgnorth during October 2016, with the overhaul being completed in November 2016. As of December 2016[update] final testing and acceptance into traffic exam are required.