The Annual Family Pass was introduced in November 2012, for the regular visitor. From April 2020 the passes became Loyalty Passes open to all. They allows travel as many times as the holder(s) like in any 12-month period from the date of issue.
As introduced the pass was valid for one or two named adults and up to four children (under 4s travel free). It is valid on all days when standard timetables are in operation and special events when standard fares apply. It is not valid on special event dates when revised fares are in operation, nor on non-timetabled trains, nor does it give any discount on tickets for those services.
The pass, on dates it is valid, also gives access to The Engine House.
Variations over time
- From 2014 passes required photo-identification for the named adults at the time of purchase of the pass, which is also required to be shown when using the pass.
- From June 2016, a change was made to allow dogs to travel in place of children, so there is still a total maximum of four children and dogs. Passholder(s) do not need to have children or dogs with them to make use of the pass.
- From 2018 a 'Small Family' version was introduced aimed at single parents or grandparents eligible for one adult and up to 4 children (or dogs), with a small price reduction.
- Initially it was available for purchase in advance only, but it is now available to purchase on the day or online. For passengers who have travelled on the railway in the previous seven days (except for special events with revised fares), the railway deducts the cost of the journey from the cost of the annual pass.
- From April 2020 the passes became 'Loyalty Passes' open to all. They also became valid at premium fare special events on payment of a supplement.
- Initially passes cost £95.00 per year.
- From December 2013 passes cost £120.00 per year with renewals at £100.00.
- From December 2014 passes cost £150.00 per year with renewals at £135.00.
- From December 2015 passes cost £175.00 per year with SVRSevern Valley Railway Members at £165.00.
- In December 2017 passes cost £185.00 per year with SVRSevern Valley Railway Members at £175.00. The Small Family version was introduced at £165/£155 respectively.
- In 2019 passes cost £195.00 per year with SVRSevern Valley Railway Members at £155.00. The Small Family version was £175/£165 respectively.
- From April 2020:
- 2 adults + up to 4 children/dogs £250 with SVRSevern Valley Railway Members at £240
- 2 Adults [no children] £225 with SVRSevern Valley Railway Members at £215
- 1 Adult + up to 4 children/dogs £175 with SVRSevern Valley Railway Members at £165
- 1 Adult [no children] £125 with SVRSevern Valley Railway Members at £115
- Disabled + 1 carer £150 with SVRSevern Valley Railway Members at £140
- Premium fare special events supplements: Family [2+4] £22, Adult £10 Child £7.
Inclusion in traffic figures
The railway does not record individual usage and counted in its passenger ticket sales a nominal two trips per pass per year. In 2016, following passenger surveys, the railway changed its publication of passenger numbers from tickets sold to estimated journeys made, which includes an allowance for Annual Family Passes and other passes for which individual tickets are not purchased.
See alsoThe Engine House
Dogs on the SVR
SVR Passenger numbers
SVRSevern Valley Railway webpage: