London Underground 4TC set
The London Underground 4TC set visited the SVRSevern Valley Railway for the 2016 Spring Diesel Festival.
The BRBritish Rail or British Railways TC (trailer control) units were un-powered fixed formations of 3 or 4 carriages with a driving position at each end of the set. They were converted from locomotive hauled BRBritish Rail or British Railways Mk 1 carriages, and were used in service as TC units between 1966 and 1988. The 4-carriage units were originally classified as BRBritish Rail or British Railways Class 442, later changed to Class 491 as which they spent the majority of their working lives. Shortly before withdrawal they were reclassified again as Class 438.
The 4TC sets were used mainly between London Waterloo and Weymouth, a route which was only partly electrified. From Waterloo to Bournemouth, one or two 4TC sets would be driven from the leading cab at the Weymouth end, while being propelled by a 4-car Electric Multiple Unit (BRBritish Rail or British Railways 4REP Class 432). At Bournemouth the 4REP would be detached and the 4TC set(s) hauled to Weymouth by a Class 33/1 diesel locomotive or Class 73 electro-diesel. On the return journey the diesel would propel the 4TC set(s) back to Weymouth, with the 4REP set hauling the formation back to Waterloo.
After they were withdrawn from passenger service, a number of vehicles were sold to London Underground. They were mainly used for special excursion trains on the Metropolitan line, hauled either by steam locomotives or the preserved electric locomotive No. 12 "Sarah Siddons".
The 4TC set which visited the SVRSevern Valley Railway in 2016 comprised 4 vehicles:
- 70823: Originally BRBritish Rail or British Railways Mk 1 Brake Second Corridor (BSK) No 34970, built in 1957 at Swindon, converted to Trailer Brake Second Corridor (TBSK) at York in 1966.
- 71163: Originally BRBritish Rail or British Railways Mk 1 Corridor First (FK) No 13097, built in 1954 at Swindon, converted to Trailer Corridor First (FTK) at York in 1974.
- 76297: Originally BRBritish Rail or British Railways Mk 1 Tourist Standard Open (TSO) No 3938, built in 1955 at Eastleigh, converted to Driving Second Open Trailer (DTSO) at York in 1966.
- 76324: Originally BRBritish Rail or British Railways Mk 1 Tourist Standard Open No 4009, built in 1957 at Swindon, converted to Driving Second Open at York in 1966.
The photograph above shows the complete 4TC set with, from nearest to furthest, Nos 76297, 71163, 70823 and 76324.