GWR 60562 Ballast Wagon
|GWRGreat Western Railway 60562 Ballast Wagon|
GWRGreat Western Railway 60562 Ballast Wagon
|Built By||GWRGreat Western Railway Swindon|
|Other Numbers||DW 150262|
|Type||4-wheel ballast wagon|
|1996||Arrived on the SVRSevern Valley Railway|
GWRGreat Western Railway 60562 is 4-wheel ballast wagon. It has a capacity of 14 tons (12 cubic yards) and is fitted with three drop-down doors per side, each 6ft 8in in length and 2ft 2½ in high. The underframe is 20ft over headstocksThe underframe member across each end of a wagon carrying the buffers and coupling. Known as the Bufferbeam on a locomotive.. When built it was fitted with Thomas brakes, an early form of braking operated by turning a crank on each side of the wagon – clockwise on one side and anticlockwise on the other.
60562 was built at Swindon in 1900 to Diagram P2, Lot 261. Construction of these wagons began in 1899 with more than 200 built by 1901. It was allocated to Henry Pooley and Sons, a company who serviced railway weighbridges and weighing machines. It was used to carry test weights and given the DepartmentalRolling stock used for the railway’s own functions (engineering etc.) rather than for general passenger or goods traffic. number DW 150262.
60562 was acquired by the current owners The GWR 813 Preservation Fund in 1980. It arrived on the SVRSevern Valley Railway on 31 October 1996 from the Avon Valley Railway at Bitton, near Bristol. It is stored at the Stourport Triangle awaiting restoration.
- ↑ Atkins et al (1976) Vol 2 p. 75.
- ↑ GWR.org.uk
- ↑ Railway Heritage Register Wagon Survey (SVRSevern Valley Railway Stock Book gives 1899)
- ↑ SVRSevern Valley Railway Stock Book Ninth Edition
- ↑ gwr813.org