GWR 58725 Improvised Gunpowder Van
|GWRGreat Western Railway 58725 Improvised Gunpowder Van|
GWRGreat Western Railway 58725 Improvised Gunpowder Van
|Built By||GWRGreat Western Railway Swindon|
|Other Numbers||W 204988|
|Type||4-wheel ventilated van|
|1977||Arrived on SVRSevern Valley Railway|
|1985||GWRGreat Western Railway 150 main line appearance|
58725 arrived on the SVRSevern Valley Railway on 29 April 1977 from Cashmores at Great Bridge, carrying the BRBritish Rail or British Railways(W) number W 204988. Evidence of its SRSouthern Railway livery was discovered during restoration in 1980, which mainly involved the replacement of a quantity of defective steelwork and the return of the van to a CONE in black livery with a red cross.
58725 received further repaints as a CONE in 1997 and 2011 (roof only). It was most recently overhauled and repainted as a gunpowder van during 2015, the work mainly involving new door lintels and replacement of the steel panels on two doors.. The main picture shows the van at Highley shortly after that overhaul.
58725 is owned by The GWR 813 Preservation Fund.
- Atkins, Beard & Tourret (2013) pp. 32-33
- SVRSevern Valley Railway Stock Book 9th Edition
- SVRSevern Valley Railway News 46
- SVRSevern Valley Railway News 59
- SVRSevern Valley Railway News 78
- SVRSevern Valley Railway News 123
- SVRSevern Valley Railway News 175
- SVRSevern Valley Railway News 191