GWR 3429 Fruit D Van

From SVR Wiki
Jump to: navigation, search
GWRGreat Western Railway 3429 Fruit D Van
GWR 3429 20150307.jpg
GWRGreat Western Railway Fruit Van 3429 (2015)
Built By BRBritish Rail or British Railways Swindon
Status Static use
Number 3429
History
Built 1950
Diagram Y14
Lot 1723
Type 4-w ventilated van
Telegraphic code FRUIT D
1973 Arrived on SVRSevern Valley Railway

Goods Wagons

GWRGreat Western Railway 3429 is a long wheelbase FRUIT D goods van, the D designating that it was equipped with Westinghouse brakes. It is a GWRGreat Western Railway design from 1939 which continued to be built by BRBritish Rail or British Railways until 1958. 3429 is one of around 13 FRUIT D survivors to diagrams Y11 and Y14 and one of four on the SVRSevern Valley Railway, the others being 3467, 92080 and 92090.

Service and preservation

3429 was built by BRBritish Rail or British Railways at Swindon in 1950 to diagram Y14, lot 1723.[1] In service it was piped for steam heat, although not heated itself, and was gas-lit. Being capable of running in passenger services, it was allocated a number in the coach series in accordance with GWRGreat Western Railway practice.[2] Many continued in use by engineers and as internal users.

It was acquired for preservation from Ipswich in 1973, arriving on 11 September, and is owned by Highley Station Fund. Originally intended for loco spares storage, it is now situated at Highley adjacent to the Signal Box. In June 2021 it was being repainted in situ as pictured below.

See also

List of goods wagons

References

  1. Railway Heritage Register Wagon Survey
  2. SVRSevern Valley Railway Stock Book Ninth Edition

Links